Tacos are quick to make for a weeknight dinner meal. This mexican style taco recipe is easy and flavorful.
I use ground turkey because it is lower in fat than ground beef and healthier for you. It is also a wholesome alternative to packaged taco seasoning, which is very high in sodium.
Ground Turkey Tacos
- olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 long hot peppers--remove stems--leave whole for flavor (optional or use just one for extra flavor)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can kidney beans--undrained
- 1 pack flour tortillas (10 to 12--I like whole wheat or whole grain)
1. Pour oil to cover bottom of large frying pan.
2. Add onion and garlic--cook until softened.
3. Put peppers in and 3 seasonings.
4. Next put in tomato paste and turkey.
5. Cook for about 15 minutes or until paste softens and turkey starts to brown.
6. Add water and beans.
7. Simmer for about 30 minutes or longer to make sure turkey is cooked well and flavors blend (cover your pan).
8. Enjoy in warm tortillas and add toppings of your choice.
Some ideas for toppings are shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, guacamole, lettuce or tomatoes. You can combine the ones you like.
Enjoy this easy and delicious dinner meal. There are usually some leftovers available for lunch the next day.