An 11-year-old boy’s claim that he was attacked from behind last week remains under investigation by Lawrence Township detectives as a possible attempted child abduction, according to police department spokesman Lt. Mark Ubry.
Ubry said it was 7:15 p.m. on Sept. 18 when police were notified of the incident, which allegedly took place near a storm water detention basin at the Lawrence Square Village development off Quakerbridge Road.
Due to recent rains, the basin – located between the residential complex and a wooded area – was partially filled with water.
The 11-year-old told police he was in the basin, walking along the water’s edge. He was tossing rocks into the water, with his back to the woods, when he was suddenly grabbed from behind, Ubry said.
He said the boy told police his assailant picked him up and started to carry him up the slope of the basin, toward the woods.
After being carried about 15 feet or so, the 11-year-old managed to break away from his assailant and was able to run home, Ubry said, relating what the boy told police.
He said the boy was not able to describe his attacker except that the person was wearing a black shirt and black sweatpants.
Detective James Smith is leading the investigation. Police ask anyone with information about the incident to call them at (609) 896-1111.