Lawrence Township’s annual Community Day festival, a tradition that dates back to 1992, will take place – weather permitting – this Sunday, Oct. 7, from 12:30 p.m. to about 4 p.m. on the Yeger Drive side of Village Park.
The festival is free. There is no rain date.
Coinciding with Community Day will be a paper shredding and covered electronics disposal event – sponsored by the Lawrence Township Public Works Department – that will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 7 in the Bergen Street parking lot of Village Park.
Township residents can bring up to 100 pounds of paper for shredding; no cardboard or x-rays will be accepted. Also being accepted for disposal will be old tires (rims must be removed; no rims will be accepted) and covered electronics such as televisions, computers, VCRs, and DVD players.
Community Day will feature programs and activities for children, including a magic show, pony rides and hayrides. The Lawrence High School Red Scare marching band is expected to perform and the Rider University radio station will broadcast live from the park.
A variety of food vendors will also be on hand selling their tasty creations.
Money generated by pony ride ticket sales and Gamin’ Ride – a mobile entertainment center featuring a variety of video games – will go directly toward the July 4th fireworks display next year.
Steve Groeger, recreation superintendent, said the 2013 fireworks fund so far has about $10,000 in it, the result of community contributions, donations collected at this past July's fireworks show, and the Labor Day 2012 Red, White and Bank Kids Triathlon (photos of which can be seen here).
About 75 local businesses, community groups and non-profits have signed up to take part in Community Day, including:
- Adath Israel Congregation
- American Legion Post 414 Ladies Auxiliary
- Anchor House
- Cheesecake Factory
- Coalition for Medical Marijuana
- Complete Health of Lawrenceville
- Easel Animal Rescue
- Edward Jones
- Every Child Valued
- Fired Up Events
- Garden Gate Garden Club
- Great Looks Salon
- Green Party
- Harvest Chapel
- Har Sinai Temple
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Huntington Learning Center
- JI Coaching
- Keller Williams
- Knights of Columbus
- Lawrence Flames
- Lawrence Hamnett Soccer Association
- Lawrence High School DECA
- Lawrence Historical Society
- Lawrence Hopewell Trail
- Lawrence Lightning Football
- Lawrence Nature Center
- Lawrence Township Community Foundation
- Lawrence Township Education Association
- Lawrence Township Education Foundation
- Lawrence Township Greenway Committee
- Lawrence Township Health Department
- Lawrence Township Junior Baseball Softball Association
- Lawrence Township Meals on Wheels
- Lawrence Township League of Women Voters
- Lawrence Township MOMS Club East
- Lawrence Township MOMS Club West
- Lawrence Township Office on Aging
- Lawrence Township Police Department
- Lawrence Township Shade Tree Advisory Committee
- Lawrence Township Volunteer Fire Companies
- Lawrenceville Main Street
- Mary Kay
- Master Gardeners
- Mercer County Library
- Mercer County Sheriff’s Office
- Mercer Street Friends
- New Jersey Department of Children and Families
- Omega Self-Storage
- Operation Smile
- Pets Plus Grooming
- Princeton Chiropractic
- Princeton Sports
- Project Graduation
- Pretzel Factory
- Radiology Affiliates
- Rainbows and Giggles
- Roma Bank
- Romy Yoga
- Sustainable Lawrence
- Three Monkeys
- World KM Taekwondo
Anyone with questions about Community Day can call the township recreation department at (609) 844-7067. Questions about the shredding event should be directed to the public works department at (609) 587-1894.
Last Year's Coverage:
- Oct. 6, 2011: "Photo Gallery: Lawrence Township Community Day"
- Oct. 11, 2011: "Community Day Celebrates All Things Lawrence"