Woman Burns Hands Trying to Douse Kitchen Fire
A cooking mishap started the fire on Sturwood Way Wednesday, Lawrence Township police said.
A cooking mishap led to a small kitchen fire Wednesday evening (Feb. 27) that sent a Lawrence Township woman to a local hospital for treatment of burns she suffered to her hands, according to township police spokesman Lt. Mark Ubry.
The 24-year-old was heating up a pan of cooking oil on the stove when she stepped away to use the bathroom, he said. When she returned to the kitchen, she found that the oil had ignited.
Ubry said the woman carried the blazing pan of oil to the nearby kitchen sink and, in turn, set some kitchen curtains alight. She then turned on the water in an effort to douse the flames. While she was ultimately successful in extinguishing the fire, the water caused the hot oil to splatter and burn her hands, he said.
Crews from the Lawrenceville, Lawrence Road and Slackwood volunteer fire companies were dispatched to the residence in the 200 block of Sturwood Way at 7:34 p.m. and confirmed that the fire was out, Ubry said, noting that the curtains were destroyed and there was some smoke damage to the residence.
The 24-year-old was transported to Capital Health System’s hospital in Hopewell Township to have her burned hands treated, he said.