Chimney Fire Doused by Lawrence Township Firefighters
The blaze on Teak Lane was quickly extinguished.
A chimney fire at a residence on Teak Lane was extinguished before it could cause any significant damage today (Sunday, March 10).
The blaze – which was reported at 5 p.m. – burned creosote and other combustion by-products that, over time, accumulated on the inside walls of the chimney and clogged the flue, fire officials said.
Arriving on the scene to find smoke coming from the rear of the house, firefighters from the township’s three volunteer fire companies – Lawrenceville, Lawrence Road and Slackwood – raised ladders to the roof and dropped chains down the flue to break up the burning material, which then fell into metal buckets that had been placed at the bottom of the fireplace.
Devices used to detect heat known as thermal imaging cameras were used to confirm that the fire had not spread into the walls of the home surrounding the chimney.
Lawrence Township firefighters were assisted at the scene by a crew from Ewing Township’s Pennington Road Fire Co.
While the fire on Teak Lane was still being extinguished, firefighters from Pennington Borough, meanwhile, responded into Lawrence Township to check out a fire alarm activation at a residence on Old Bridle Path.